Yemista is another “featured” dish of the Mediterranean diet. It means “stuffed”. Tomatoes, peppers and eggplants are stuffed with rice, onion, parsley, spearmint and spices. You may also use minced meat.
Usually Yemista is served with baked potatoes, feta cheese and olives.
- Cut off the tomato tops (don’t waste them) and scoop out the flesh. Place it in a bowl and reserve it for later.
- Do the same with the peppers and eggplants.
Preparation of the stuffing
- Mash the flesh of the vegetables with onion.
- Pour the mash in a large bowl.
- Add the parsley and the spearmint leaves finely chopped, some rice and a bit of olive oil.
- Optionally, add minced meat and stir – fry the mixture for about 10-20 minutes.
- Fill the empty tomatoes (don’t fill to the top), cover with the lids (tomatoes, eggplants and pepper tops) and place them in the pan.
- Place the potatoes between the tomatoes, peppers and eggplants. Bake at 200° C for 1 ½ hours.
Accompany with feta cheese and wine or cold beer!
Bon appetite or KALI OREKSI!!!